The EU has set the overall greenhouse gas emissions target for 2030 and the associated targets for the various sectors covered by the EU emissions trading system (ETS). To meet these challenges and to improve its performance, the EU is currently reviewing some design features of the system. Based on a stakeholder consultation process, this POLIMP Policy Brief shows an overview of perceptions held by stakeholders in five member states (Poland, Greece, Austria, Hungary and the Netherlands). It highlights the diversity of their views across sectors and across countries on salient aspects of the ETS: the role of the ETS and the ETS sectors’ contribution to the 2030 policy framework, the factors that had a major impact on the EUA price, the ETS reform and stakeholder support for the ETS.
- Noriko Fujiwara - Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS)
- Erwin Hofman - JIN Climate and Sustainability
- Charikleia Karakosta - University of Piraeus Research Centre (UPRC)
- Aleksander Szpor - Institute for Structural Research (IBS)
- Andreas Tuerk - University of Graz